Thursday, January 22, 2009

LA EATS

Geisha House: Japanese Fusion

Concept of sharing several dishes. So my friends and I shared varieties of sushi, including variations of special rolls with beef tenderloin, shrimp, salmon. Prior to the main course we had sauteed calamari and fried prawns with a few oyster shooters and sake in the mix. The food was simply succulent and the ambiance and music was nice, anything from envogue-ish genre to the ABBA decade. nice decor, and central locale, 6633 Hollywood Blvd, CA 90028

Vietnam House

Very authentic, and huge bowls of Pho priced at about 4-6 bucks. If you love beef and if you love Vietnamese food, this is the place to check out. Also their specialty drinks were delicious, with mung bean, and jellies, and milk tea.
710 W. Las Tunas Dr.
San Gabriel, CA 91776

McCormick & Schmick's

Perfect spot for a midafternoon bloodymary and fresh oyster combo or accompany it with some sangria
Two Rodeo Drive
Beverly Hills, California 90210

I love Boba

I had the Thai Milk tea, but have also tried out the Passion Fruit Smoothie, not too sweet like other Boba places, and the consistency of the Boba is perfect. Cute little place with a few tables and seating with wi-fi too.
1144 S. Western Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 900006

Woo Lae Oak: Korean Cuisine

They have several variations of ordering food there, where you can either get precooked dishes, or indulge in ordering platters of meat and cooking them yourself...I obviously chose the second option. They have quite a range in the bbq from ribs to ostrich meat. The lychee and grape tinis are lip-smackingly delicious.
170 N. La Cienega Blvd. Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Palate:

The butternut squash appetizer was pretty tip top for a soup. I shared a main meal consisted of some quail and tilapia with my cousin. The "porkfolio" option on the menu is a pretty funny and clever title.
933 S Brand Blvd Glendale CA 91204

In-N-Out

This was within my first few days after arriving in LA, but
I'm sure my first In-N-Out experience would have meant more to me if I did not ingest a mothersized burrito before my cheeseburger. I'll have to give the Double-Double a go. They are everywhere.

So far, my top favs have been:

Hugo's Tacos

I've managed to try the grilled fish tacos with jalapeno salsa, and the chicken burrito. good quality, tiny stand but it's got tons of options, even vegan choices, and most importantly it's fresh, fast, and tasty.
3300 Glendale Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90039

and Mao's Kitchen



Definitely worth making a trip out to the Venice Beach area for this place.
"Chinese Country Cooking with Red Memories" sums up both the decor, food, and vibe of this quaint, cozy, and bold statement embedded restaurant. Went with my Shanghainese friend, and she said the spices were quite authentic. I would recommend the Orange Ginger Chicken and the Weiwuer lamb.
1512 Pacific Ave, Venice, California 90291

No comments: